Differentiate the factors between Diazepam and Xanax
Fighting through getting the best drug to arrest that anxiety problem and give a lasting solution is one thing people faced with anxiety, depression etc. often encounters. Anxiety is one health disorder that seems insignificant yet alarmingowing to the fact that treating such disorder usually involves a cognitive-behavioral therapy and antidepressant medications.Generally, drugs belonging to the class Benzodiazepines are known to treat anxiety with a specific interest on two basic drugs in that class commonly known to treat the health condition which leaves one totally confused if there is anything differentiating them – Diazepam (valium) and Xanax (Alprazolam). This guide is designed to give a week detailed information about the major different between diazepam and Xanax.
Differentiate the factors between Diazepam and Xanax..
These drugs share a lot of similarities which had made it a bit difficulty in distinguishing how one differs from the other. If you are one of those concerned about how these two drugs differs, then you are in for an eye opener. Here is how –
- How it works – This is one and an important factor that distinguishes Diazepam from Xanax. Though they are meant for same purpose, they work in different direction yet achieving same aim and purpose.Diazepam functions by inhibiting neurotransmitters in the brain to reduce irrational of distress while Xanaxworks by slowing down the nervous central system which helps to reduce the feeling of irrational fear which has the ability to debilitate the body.
- Dosage –With respect to dosage, Xanax is taken in less quantity compared to Diazepam as it is known to start reacting immediately it is taken. Xanax has been studied to have a high reaction rate with the body’s system hence a starting doses of 0.25-0.5 mg is taken at an interval of 3-4days while Diazepam allows you a starting dose of 2-10 mg 2-4 times daily all for the sole purpose of treating anxiety.
- Half life –Diazepam is known to have a longer half life of about 20-80 hours with Xanax having a half life of only about 11hours. Periodically, this is a clear indication that Diazepam takes a longer time of about 5days to completely leave the body unlike Xanax that would become insignificant in the body’s system in just about 1 day.
- Weight – When it comes to weight, studies have revealed that Xanax is a very strong drug compared to Diazepam which is a bit weaker. Although they are both addictive, Xanax can cause a patient to go through painful and withdrawal cases which may even lead to death where diazepam will end a withdrawal session in a mild headache or tremor. Xanax should never be taken without a doctor’s prescription.
- Special features – Unlike Xanax, Diazepam is also used for the treatment of other delicate health cases such as delirium, agitations, seizures, hallucination resulting from alcohol withdrawal, sedation during surgery, tremors, relief of muscle spasms in some neurological diseases etc. These are other uses of diazepam which Xanax cannot fit in for.